Ottawa’s municipal election is coming up on October 22, 2018. That means we have the opportunity to elect a city council and mayor who prioritize a green, healthy and liveable Ottawa for the next four years.
Why get involved in the municipal election?
Ecology Ottawa is a local, grassroots environmental organization that works to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada. We have spent over ten years building a movement of over 80,000 Ottawa residents willing to stand up for walkable and cycling-friendly communities, clean water, healthy streams, a strong urban tree canopy, a low-waste city and clean energy options that help us do our fair share to fight climate change.
Keeping an eye on environmental decisions made at city council has always been a key part of what we do. In the past, Ecology Ottawa has produced “Council Watch Report Card“, grading each councillor and the mayor based on their environmental decisions. Municipal elections are a key opportunity to engage and educate Ottawa voters and candidates, raise awareness of pressing local environmental issues and shape the decisions made over the next four years.
In the lead-up to the 2014 municipal election, Ecology Ottawa staff and volunteers knocked on over 15,000 doors, surveyed nearly 100 candidates about their stands on key environmental issues, and organized various all-candidates’ debates on the environment, including a mayoral debate with over 200 participants.
What’s our plan for 2018?
In the 2018 municipal election, a lot is at stake. How will LRT – and connectivity to the new stations – shape the way we move around the city? How do we protect Ottawa’s greenspace and watershed against invasive species and toxic waste? Will council take the challenge of climate change seriously and adequately fund its clean energy strategy? How do we systematically address waste management issues? We are working to make sure candidates understand and take a stand on these issues.
This municipal election, Ecology Ottawa will continue to raise awareness of local environmental priorities among both voters and candidates, inform Ottawa residents of their candidates’ environmental stands, promote environmental leadership and get out the vote for a greener council.
In the coming months, our team at Ecology Ottawa will:
- Organize in targeted areas of the city to raise awareness of key issues, engage residents in our campaign and encourage people to vote for a greener city council
- Survey candidates about their stand on key environmental issues
- Organize and attend all-candidates’ debates on the environment
- Get out the vote in the lead up to election day
Knocking on thousands of doors, engaging residents and educating them about the upcoming election will be our mission for the next few months. If you want to support our campaign, volunteer and help us knock on doors by emailing Dana at email@example.com.
You can also sign up to receive updates about this campaign here.
Through extensive community surveys and consultation with our volunteer group, Ecology Ottawa has issued a list of sixteen survey questions covering four main issues: climate change action (Renewable City), building safe and healthy streets (Active City), protecting Ottawa’s greenspace and watersheds (Living City) and waste management. Click here to see our questions and the candidates’ responses as they come in.
All-candidates’ debates on the environment
Stay tuned to our website, or sign up for updates to find out about the next debate near you. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
How can you help?
There are many ways you can support this campaign and help us elect a greener city council.
- Volunteer with us! We need help canvassing, phone banking, entering data and engaging candidates. To sign up, email Dana at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Engage your local candidates. Call, write or email your candidates about Ecology Ottawa’s all-candidates’ survey, and talk to them about local environmental issues in your ward. To get started, email Dana at email@example.com.
- Make a donation to our campaign. This campaign is fuelled purely by the support from Ottawa residents like you. Whether it’s a one-time or monthly contribution, your donation will help make Ottawa the green capital of Canada. Donate today!
- Stay updated on the campaign via social media – follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.