UPDATE COMING SOON
SATURDAY, MAY 25, 2013, 8am-4pm
680 & 690 Bank Street (at Glebe Avenue)
Rogers Plus & Kunstadt Sports parking lots
It’s your favourite time of year again… Soon the entire Glebe will be abuzz with lawn-hawking like you’ve never seen. It’s this annual mecca of bargain-hunters from near and far that gave birth to Ecology Ottawa’s Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale!
Now in its 6th year, the Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale has become one of Ecology Ottawa’s flagship annual events. What started as a humble fundraiser in 2008 has grown into a massive event that—in addition to the garage sale itself—now features a vegetarian BBQ (join us for lunch), a bake sale (including hot coffee at the crack of dawn), and live performances by local bands, DJs, breakdancers, and even a youth-led “flash mob” dance routine (see video to the right). We also have massage therapists (to help you relax after a long day of shopping), face painting and other fun activities for kids, hula hoop lessons (for all ages!), performers on stilts, and much, much more! Back by popular demand, we will also have a water bottle refilling station on site, as well as portable public washrooms for the community’s use (when nature calls).
The Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale has become a carnival unto itself that community members look forward to each year.
The event has raised over $30,000 to date. All items sold at the event are collected from over 200 supporters from across the city, and all proceeds raised go to charity (90% to Ecology Ottawa, 10% to The Ottawa Food Bank). Everything is coordinated by more than 100 passionate volunteers, without whom this event would not be possible.
We have generated widespread interest throughout the community and the media, including from the Ottawa Citizen, CBC Radio, and CTV2 (see past interviews to the right and below).
This event is part of the community-wide Great Glebe Garage Sale that takes place across the neighbourhood, organized by the Glebe Community Association.
We will have a jam-packed line-up of awesome local musical performances, including:
- 8:00am – DJ Hobo vs. DJ Sweet Cheeks (of Kitchen Party fame)
- 9:00am – The Hornettes (bringing sultry funk, soul, and R&B from Motown to O-town)
- 10:00am – DJ Hobo vs. DJ Sweet Cheeks (2nd set)
- 11:00am – Soul Journey (Latin Gypsy jazz and Flamenco rhythms)
- 12:00pm – DJ Eric Roberts (of Timekode fame)
- 1:00pm – The Sentries (island-flavoured ska)
- 2:00pm – DJ Eric Roberts (2nd set)
The Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale produces incredible benefits for the community, including:
- Raised over $30,000 to date.
- Introduces and builds grass-roots support for environmental issues among a wide and diverse audience in the city.
- Creates hundreds of hands-on volunteer opportunities, including leadership roles.
- Provides a valuable service to community members and organizations with unwanted items to get rid of.
- Diverts useful items from the landfill to new, loving homes.
- Helps to support and promote buying second-hand goods vs. new.
- Brings together diverse community members for a fun and entertaining event.
- Produces an incredible amount of leftover items donated to worthy local organizations in need.
We hope to see you on Saturday, May 25 at 680 & 690 Bank Street (in the Rogers Plus and Kunstadt Sports parking lots). Bring your wallet, an empty stomach, and everyone you know!
In addition, Ecology Ottawa and the 36th Ottawa Scout Group are excited to be co-hosting an outdoor gear sale at 166 Glebe Avenue (at Lyon), just 1 block from our main event. If you’re looking for camping, sporting, hiking, or other outdoors gear, please visit this location.
We are also happy to announce that Loblaws on Isabella will be hosting a 2nd veggie BBQ in front of their store again from 10am-2pm on Saturday, May 25. All proceeds will go to the Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale!
DONATE YOUR UNWANTED ITEMS TO THE SALE
Folks, it’s time to spring clean and turn your trash into treasure. Rather than place your stuff at the curb, please donate your unwanted goods to the Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale. Your items will find a new loving home, help Ecology Ottawa and The Ottawa Food Bank, and any leftover items will be donated to worthy local charitable organizations. Plus, you’ll keep things out of the landfill.
We’ll accept anything and everything that is in good working order: clothes, books, movies, music, kitchen stuff, furniture, electronics, artwork, kids stuff, sports gear, thingamajigs, whatchamacallits… you name it!
If you have stuff to donate, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE OUR DONATION FORM, and we will follow-up with you shortly.
We have arranged the following pick-up/drop-off times the week of the event:
- Monday, May 20, 3-6pm (Victoria Day)
- Tuesday, May 21, 6-9pm
- Wednesday, May 22, 6-9pm
- Thursday, May 23, 6-9pm
- Friday, May 24, 10am-9pm
- Saturday, May 25, 6-8am (drop-offs only)
If you are able to drop-off your items, that would be ideal. The donations should be dropped off at 680 Bank Street (in the Kunstadt Sports parking lot by the storage bins) and someone will be there to help you unload. If that is the case, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE OUR DONATION FORM, and we will follow-up with you shortly.
If you are not able to drop-off your items, we will try to find a volunteer with a vehicle to pick them up. If that is the case, PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE OUR DONATION FORM, and we will follow-up with you shortly.
If you have any questions about donating items to the event, please contact José Dimayuga at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647.891.2505.
VOLUNTEER FOR THE EVENT
Volunteering for this event is a lot of fun, and opportunities are available for folks of all ages. And yes, volunteering for the Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale can count towards your high school volunteer requirement!
We are currently seeking:
- People with access to a vehicle (or a bike with trailer) to pick-up donations from folks without access to a car ahead of the sale, and to distribute leftover items to worthy organizations after the event (May 20-28).
- Folks to sort donations in the days leading up to the event (May 20-24).
- Lots of help at the actual event, including some brave souls to help set everything up at the crack of dawn, salespeople, folks to run the BBQ, people to paint kids’ faces, and plenty of other help to make the event run smoothly (Saturday, May 25).
- Help in the days following the event, to sort the leftover items, distribute them to worthy local organizations, return items borrowed from our supporters, and tidy the venue (May 26-28).
- … and many more volunteer roles.
If you are interested in volunteering:
Please click here to read our volunteer roles document and learn about all of the ways you can get involved in one of the year’s most fun and exciting events.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE OUR VOLUNTEER FORM, and we will follow-up with you shortly.
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact Jennie Videto at email@example.com or 613.234.6348.
CONTRIBUTE TO THE BAKE SALE
If you would like to contribute some yummy treats to the sale (especially breakfast goods), PLEASE CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE OUR BAKING FORM, and we will follow-up with you shortly.
If you have any questions about the bake sale, please contact Steph Elias at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.617.8434.
SPREAD THE WORD
Last, but not least, please tell all of your friends, family, and colleagues in Ottawa about Ecology Ottawa’s Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale. We greatly appreciate you helping to get the word out.
- Share our event with your friends on Facebook
- Tweet about the event on Twitter
- Check out photos from our past events: 2010, 2011, 2012.
Thank you all for your incredible support and for helping to make this event the best and greenest ever! We hope to see you on Saturday, May 25 at 680 & 690 Bank Street (in the Rogers Plus and Kunstadt Sports parking lots).
CONTACT THE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
- GENERAL ENQUIRIES: Josh Snider, email@example.com, 613.321.3392
- Donations and transportation: José Dimayuga, firstname.lastname@example.org, 647.891.2505
- Volunteers: Jennie Videto, email@example.com, 613.234.6348
- Bake sale and BBQ: Steph Elias, firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.617.8434
- Sponsorships: Leslie Malone, email@example.com, 613.809.1237
- Communications/media: Christine McLellan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 613.860.5353
- Entertainment: Tricia Enns, email@example.com, 204.333.5913 (text preferred)
PARTNERS, SPONSORS, AND SUPPORTERS
On behalf of Ecology Ottawa and the Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale, we would like to thank our generous past and present partners, sponsors, and supporters. We would also like to thank the Glebe Community Association for organizing the community-wide Great Glebe Garage Sale. And the biggest thanks of all goes to the generous donors and tireless volunteers who are the lifeblood of this event. Without all of this support, the Great Glebe GREEN Garage Sale would not be possible. THANK YOU ALL!
If you would like to discuss partnership, sponsorship, and other supporting opportunties, please contact Leslie Malone at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613.809.1237.