Job posting: Director of Development
Note: This job posting originally appeared in March 2020 and is being re-posted in September 2020. Hiring was postponed due to the impacts of COVID-19.
Ecology Ottawa is hiring a Director of Development to join its dynamic team.
The Director of Development will work with the Executive Director to develop a multi-channel fundraising strategy and work with the team to implement it.
The Director of Development will:
- Work with the Executive Director to refine and further develop Ecology Ottawa’s major donor strategy. More specifically:
- Adopt and refine an organization-wide approach to major donor engagement;
- Design and execute an annual fundraising plan;
- Update and keep current Ecology Ottawa’s major donor package;
- Systematize, elaborate on and maintain Ecology Ottawa’s major donor tracking mechanisms;
- Systematically reach out to potential donors, and work with the Executive Director to regularly schedule in-person meetings with potential donors;
- Develop a strategy to optimize and leverage existing donor data in Ecology Ottawa’s NationBuilder; and
- Establish a bequest initiative.
- Work with the Executive Director to cover a number of other fundraising objectives. More specifically:
- Design and execute one-time, monthly and annual giving fundraising strategies;
- Maintain and expand Ecology Ottawa’s pool of monthly donors;
- Integrate fundraising objectives with all elements of Ecology Ottawa’s external communications array, including:
- Campaign email drips;
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram);
- Door canvass materials; and/or
- Research and engage with grantmakers, by assisting with or leading grant applications, writing letters of inquiry and conducting other grantmaker correspondence;
- Research, integrate and analyze internal and external data sources to strategically target potential donors and donor leads;
- Use predictive analytics and donor surveys to strengthen Ecology Ottawa’s fundraising capacity; and
- Monitor and train staff to improve Ecology Ottawa’s telephone and door-to-door and overall fundraising efforts (e.g., boothing/events, and helping organizers identify donors in their volunteer networks);
- Recruit, train and manage volunteers and staff, as needed.
Summary of Qualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate will have some combination of the following:
- Commitment to the values and mission of Ecology Ottawa;
- Knowledge of and experience in the environmental NGO sector;
- University degree or equivalent education, training and experience in a relevant discipline (e.g., fundraising, communications, humanities, social sciences, environmental science);
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English, with French skills a major asset;
- Experience with databases and data analysis tools and methods, especially as they relate to fundraising and development;
- A minimum of two (2) years proven experience working on fundraising and/or development;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and judgment;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Excellent web research and analysis skills;
- Familiarity with web and online platforms, including social media;
- Proven ability to be organized and effectively handle many concurrent demands;
- Capacity to work in a self-directed manner and also work well within a team;
- A willingness to occasionally work unconventional hours to meet deadlines; and
- A good sense of humour.
The salary range for this position is $50,000-$60,000/year for 40 hours/week, commensurate with experience. Salary can be pro-rated based on alternate work scheduling schemes. Salary comes with a benefits package that kicks in after a 3-month probation period.
To apply for this position, please send your CV and a one-page cover letter describing why you are suitable to email@example.com with “Director of Development” in the subject line.
If you are interested in working with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all those who apply, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Compensation: $50,000 to $60,000 per year, commensurate with experience.
Period: 40 hours/week; alternate work arrangements available. Starts ASAP.
We are accepting applications until midnight on September 30, 2020.