On April 16, the Environment Committee voted 6-2 to declare a Climate Emergency and propose bold actions to safeguard Ottawa’s neighbourhoods and ecosystems. This motion will now go to City Council on April 24. Help us build support for this motion by contacting your councillor and Mayor and asking them to vote in support of this motion. Whether you speak to a staffer or leave a voicemail, your direct call lets them know what their constituents care about climate action.
Below are all councillors and their phone number. Please consider calling both the Mayor and your councillor. Your advocacy is critical to the outcome of the vote.
- Mayor Jim Watson – 613-580-2496
- Matthew Luloff (Orleans) – 613-580-2471
- Laura Dudas (Innes) – 613-580-2472
- Jan Harder (Barrhaven) – 613-580-2473
- Jenna Sudds (Kanata North) – 613-580-2474
- Eli El-Chantiry (West Carleton-March) – 613-580-2475
- Glen Gower (Stittsville) – 613-580-2476
- Theresa Kavanagh (Bay) – 613-580-2477
- Rick Chiarelli (College) – 613-580-2478
- Keith Egli (Knoxdale-Merivale) – 613-580-2479
- Diane Deans (Gloucester-Southgate) – 613-580-2480
- Tim Tierney (Beacon Hill-Cyrville) – 613-580-2481
- Matthieu Fleury (Rideau-Vanier) – 613-580-2482
- Catherine McKenney (Somerset) – 613-580-2484
- Jeff Leiper (Kitchisippi) – 613-580-2485
- Riley Brockington (River) – 613-580-2486
- Shawn Menard (Capital) – 613-580-2487
- Jean Cloutier (Alta Vista) – 613-580-2488
- Stephen Blais (Cumberland) – 613-580-2489
- George Darouze (Osgoode) – 613-580-2490
- Scott Moffatt (Rideau-Goulbourn) – 613-580-2491
- Carol Anne Meehan (Gloucester-South Nepean) – 613-580-2751
- Allan Hubley (Kanata South) – 613-580-2752
Not sure what to say? Here’s a sample script and some suggesting talking points.
Hi, my name is _________, and I am a resident in ________ Ward. I am calling because as an Ottawa resident, I am very concerned about climate change. We’ve seen the climate impacts from tornadoes, heat waves, floods and erratic winter. Globally and right here in Ottawa, children are on strike demanding stronger, bolder climate actions. I want to see Ottawa as a city do its part to combat the climate crisis and build a better city with vibrant, healthy communities that are resilient to a changing climate. I would like to see [councillor name/Mayor Watson] vote in favour of the Climate Emergency motion coming to Council on April 24 and support Ottawa’s future efforts to fight climate change. Will you commit to doing so?
- Climate change is already happening in Ottawa, with the tornadoes and heat waves last summer, or erratic freeze-thaw cycles this winter. We cannot afford not to act.
- There is huge momentum building among cities across Canada to not only declare their commitment to climate change, but to also build a better city that’s energy efficient, well connected by sustainable modes of transportation, and resilient in a changing climate.
- Will you commit to voting yes on the April 24 motion to declare climate emergency?