Ecology Ottawa is looking for an Energy East Outreach Volunteer to join our dynamic team. The Clean Energy Outreach Volunteer will organize to stop the proposed Energy East tar sands pipeline by reaching out to key members of the community and inviting them to join our campaign. This position involves immersion in the tools and techniques of grassroots organizing, outreach, data management and communications.
Reporting to the Clean Energy Lead Organizer, the overall goal of the Clean Energy Outreach Volunteer is to support the development of a movement of people in the City of Ottawa that are working together to stop the proposed Energy East tar sands pipeline and promote action on climate change. This goal is pursued by: (i) cultivating a core group of like-minded organizations and associations; (ii) conducting outreach to expand and deepen the Ecology Ottawa climate change and tar sands support base; and (iii) tracking interactions with our supporters for the purpose of facilitating the above-mentioned objectives.
The Clean Energy Outreach Volunteer will also participate in strategic planning discussions and assist with key Ecology Ottawa events as necessary.
This position requires 5-10 hours per week spent both reaching out to people electronically and by phone as well as by arranging in-person meetings and visiting key community members.
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Experience with grassroots organizing and direct outreach;
- A passion for environmental and political advocacy;
- Policy knowledge of the proposed Energy East pipeline as well as broader tar sands policy issues at the local, provincial and national levels;
- A strong commitment to social and environmental justice;
- A relevant educational, work and/or volunteer background (familiarity with database and contact management systems is a major asset);
- Strong oral and writing skills (French language skills are a major asset);
- Strong interpersonal skills; and
- A good sense of humour.
To apply: If you are interested in working with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a short cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your résumé to: email@example.com.
Period: Part-time following candidates availabilities. Starts immediately.
We thank all those who apply, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, walk-ins or other enquiries please. Ecology Ottawa is committed to employment equity, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
For further information about Ecology Ottawa, please visit our website at www.ecologyottawa.ca.