Ecology Ottawa is looking for Volunteer Activists to join a dynamic team. The Volunteer Activist will be asked to perform three main tasks: participate in direct outreach; receive training; and conduct work on a special project that touches on one of Ecology Ottawa’s core campaign areas. We have three campaigns focused on trees and water (“Living City”), energy and climate (“Renewable City”) and transit and active transportation (“Active City”). This position involves immersion in the tools and techniques of research, communications, event management, canvass organizing, volunteer management and data management.
Successful applicants will have an opportunity to learn more about how an active, grassroots environmental organization functions. You will participate directly in project and campaign development and execution, and benefit from specialized training in a range of areas.
In return, you will be expected to:
- Provide a minimum of 20 hours per week on an unpaid basis from May 1, 2016 until at least July 31, 2016 (candidates able to commit more time will be prioritized);
- Become familiar with Ecology Ottawa’s organizational philosophy, issue campaigns and database;
- Take part in all relevant training offered by Ecology Ottawa; and
- Participate in direct community outreach, which will include door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, event coordination and data entry.
Successful candidates will have some combination of the following:
- A passion for environmental and political advocacy;
- A strong commitment to social and environmental justice;
- An interest in learning more about – and contributing to – environmental organizations and project/campaign development;
- A relevant educational background, such as humanities, English, political science, economics, sociology, environmental studies, geography, urban planning, social work, etc.;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong oral and writing skills (French language skills are a major asset);
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience working for not-for-profit organizations or relevant areas of work; and
- A good sense of humour.
If you are interested in gaining experience with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume to: email@example.com.
Applications will be considered as they are received.