Ecology Ottawa is looking for Interns to join the dynamic Renewable City team. The Intern will be asked to perform two main tasks: provide administrative assistance and assist in the coordination of volunteers for the Renewable City campaign. This position involves immersion in the tools and techniques of research, communications, event management, canvass organizing, volunteer management, data management, as well as the organizing philosophy of Ecology Ottawa.
Successful applicants will have an opportunity to learn more about how an active, grassroots environmental organization functions. You will participate directly in project and campaign development and execution, and benefit from specialized training in a range of areas.
In return, you will be expected to:
- Provide a minimum of 20 hours per week on an unpaid basis from February 15, 2016 until at least April 30th, 2016 (candidates able to commit more time will be prioritized);
- Become familiar with Ecology Ottawa’s organizational philosophy, campaign issues and database;
- Take part in all relevant training offered by Ecology Ottawa; and
- Participate in direct community outreach, which will include door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, event coordination and data entry.
Successful candidates will have some combination of the following:
- A passion for environmental and political advocacy;
- A strong commitment to social and environmental justice;
- An interest in learning more about – and contributing to – environmental organizations and project/campaign development;
- A relevant educational background, such as humanities, political science, economics, sociology, environmental studies, geography, urban planning, social work, etc.;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong oral and writing skills (French language skills are a major asset);
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Experience working for not-for-profit organizations or relevant areas of work; and
- A good sense of humour.
If you are interested in gaining experience with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume to: email@example.com. Applications will be considered as they are received.