What’s new for the Complete Streets campaign?
We are making new friends and taking action to improving walkability, cyclability and active transportation for a greener, safer, healthier and more accessible Ottawa! This summer a great team of interns worked to keep these Complete Streets issues moving forward – big thanks to Nandita, Trina, Andrea, Dana and Tabitha!
Here is a small glimpse at what keeps us busy:
- Complete Streets Became a Term of Council Priority: On June 30, 2015 the Transportation Committee agreed that Complete Streets needed to be included as a term of council priority. The Complete Streets team worked with our friends to get this issue prioritized.
- Bronson Avenue Audit Completed: In response to the upcoming reconstruction of Bronson Avenue, Ecology Ottawa worked in partnership with local community associations and the GCA Traffic Committee to conduct an active transportation audit as well as an online survey of local residents to record their concerns on Bronson. The final Bronson Avenue Reconstruction and Revisioning Report is available on Ecology Ottawa’s website and is scheduled to be launched in September.
- Council on Aging Audits Progressing: In cooperation with Ecology Ottawa, the Council on Aging has conducted a series of seasonal walkability audits in key areas for seniors around the city. All these audits have been completed, the data collected and compiled and the final report is in the process of being written.
- Airport Parkway Expansion Opposition: The proposed expansion of the Airport Parkway is being spearheaded by volunteer Bruce Rosove, who is fighting with Ecology Ottawa and others to ensure that the City of Ottawa expands the transit system, including light rail, to the southern suburbs to see if this will meet the area’s transportation needs before considering widening the Parkway.
- Action for a Safer Sherbourne Road: Sherbourne is an important community road that services schools, community centers and an old age home, yet suffers from heavy and fast traffic. Ecology Ottawa is working with the McKellar Park Community Association and the Carlingwood Community Association to insure that the scheduled resurfacing of Sherbourne in 2018 and 2020 sidewalk construction will include measures for pedestrian and cycling safety as well as for traffic calming. Petitioning in the area started July 27th with an active transportation audit scheduled for September 14th: RSVP here to join the audit. If you would like to sign out petition online, you can do so by clicking here.
- Team Meetings: New and old Complete Streets volunteers met twice over the last two months at Ecology Ottawa’s offices to discuss our projects and keep them moving forward. Meeting minute summaries of these were written and shared by Nandita to keep everyone up to date.
- New Volunteers: We have new volunteers for Complete Streets and are always looking for more! If you love walking, cycling and activism, talk to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete Streets and Community Network Organizer
Organisateur des rues complètes et des réseau
Ecology Ottawa | Écologie Ottawa