Ecology Ottawa is looking for an Outreach Organizer to join a dynamic team on a three month contract. The Outreach Organizer will run a canvass in the City of Ottawa designed to raise awareness about the threats associated with the proposed Energy East oil pipeline. The goal is to educate people about the proposed pipeline, support a growing volunteer base, and help build a movement of people in the City of Ottawa that are active around the proposed Energy East pipeline. This position involves immersion in the tools and techniques of grassroots organizing, canvassing, volunteer management, data management and communications. This position involves substantial evening and weekend work.
Reporting to Ecology Ottawa’s Executive Director, the Outreach Organizer’s primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Lead and implement a sustained campaign of direct community outreach and education, primarily including door-to-door canvassing;
- Recruit and train volunteer leaders, using grassroots organizing best practices;
- Take responsibility for inputting and analyzing canvass data;
- Conduct strategic communications activities; and
- Produce educational material.
Successful candidates will have some combination of the following:
- Experience with grassroots organizing and direct outreach;
- A passion for environmental and political advocacy;
- A strong commitment to social and environmental justice;
- A relevant educational, work and/or volunteer background (familiarity with database and contact management systems is a major asset);
- Attention to detail;
- Strong oral and writing skills (French language skills are a major asset);
- Strong interpersonal skills; and
- A good sense of humour.
If you are interested in working with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying and a resumé to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Period: Full time. Starts immediately. Ends August 31st.
Please note: This position involved substantial evening and weekend work. Candidates should assume that at least half their hours will be spent outside of regular work hours (ie., outside of 9 to 5, Monday to Friday).
To apply: Please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resumé to email@example.com. Only complete applications sent by email will be considered. No phone calls please.
Closing date: Applications will be reviewed as they are received. We are trying to fill the position immediately.
We thank all those who apply, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, walk-ins or other enquiries please. Ecology Ottawa is committed to employment equity, and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
For further information about Ecology Ottawa, please visit our website at www.ecologyottawa.ca.