A municipal election is coming to Ottawa this October, and Ecology Ottawa is working to ensure environmental issues are front and centre for political candidates.
We want clean rivers and streams, a healthy urban tree canopy, a robust municipal climate change strategy, vibrant and walkable communities, and a city that’s safe from dangerous tar sands pipelines. We know the key to our success is mobilizing concerned individuals around the issues that matter to them, and one of the most effective ways to do this is through direct outreach and organizing.
The volunteer Election Organizer position is an opportunity to develop skills in political organizing, to connect with the residents of Ottawa and to promote environmental leadership at City Hall.
We are looking to create a dynamic team of volunteers who will:
• Become familiar with Ecology Ottawa’s issue campaigns and organizational philosophy;
• Provide a minimum of 6 hours per week on an unpaid basis until the October 27 election (candidates will be prioritized according to their time commitment); and
• Assist with door-to-door outreach, data management, election strategizing and targeted Get Out the Vote (GOTV) campaigns.
Successful candidates for this volunteer position will have some combination of the following:
• A passion for environmental and political advocacy;
• A strong commitment to social and environmental justice;
• An interest in learning more about – and contributing to – environmental organizations and campaigning;
• Attention to detail;
• Strong oral skills (French language skills are a major asset);
• Strong interpersonal skills; and
• A good sense of humour.
We are seeking to bring together a small team of committed volunteers and applications will be considered as they are received.
If you are interested in gaining experience with Ottawa’s leading grassroots environmental organization and contributing to our efforts to make Ottawa the green capital of Canada, please send a cover letter outlining your motivation for applying along with your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.